Is it bad that I have a plan for when I hear a gunman approaching my classroom? Got an email from unirel today providing some vague information about some youtube threat made against the "Virginia Tech community." The only even slightly comforting piece of information in it was that the video seems to have originated overseas. Well thank goodness. <--sarcasm
Of course, I immediately went over my plan in my head (shut the door, lock it if possible, shove the podium in front of it, and order my students to duck behind chairs). Luckily, one of my classrooms has automatically locking doors. Once they're closed, you can't get in from the outside without a key unless someone lets you in from the inside.
Safety--which used to feel like a given to me, especially here in Blacksburg--has become something a fool believes in. I exercise my paranoia daily.
And now I read Thomas Hardy--who is supposed to be a bit dreary and depressing--and find his descriptions of people's behavior and quirks hilarious. Does nobody else read him and see irony dripping from every sentence? I feel like my distrust of human beings in general has led to a distrust of the author in general. Where a trusting individual might read Hardy and perceive his descriptions to be earnest attempts at portraying real people, I read Hardy and see caricature and the absurdity of human misery.
It's 1:30 AM...why...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment